Board of Appeals
Board of Investment Trustees
Community Engagement Cluster
Community Use of Public Facilities
Correction & Rehabilitation
County Attorney's Office
County Executive's Office
Emergency Mgmt & Homeland Security
Fire and Rescue Service
Health & Human Services
Housing and Community Affairs
Legislative Oversight Office
Management and Budget Office
Merit System Protection Board
Public Information Office
State's Attorney's Office
Zoning & Administrative Hearings
For Immediate Release: 8/27/2014
|Maker Faire Coming to Silver Spring on September 14
Montgomery County is again teaming up with KID (Kids International Discovery) Museum to host the Silver Spring Maker Faire on Sunday, September 14 from noon to 5 p.m. at the Silver Spring Civic Building, at the corner of Ellsworth Dr. and Fenton St. in downtown Silver Spring. Last year’s Silver Spring Mini Maker Faire was so popular in the DC area that the event has graduated from a Mini Maker Faire to a Maker Faire. The free faire will offer hands-on activities and showcase innovative projects created by inventors, hackers, crafters, artists and “do-it-yourselfers” of all kinds.
The Silver Spring Maker Faire is one of only four featured faires across the country. The goal of the event is to demonstrate creative and unusual pursuits to inspire others to explore their own curiosity and to make something new and different.
Fun and innovative hands-on activities for children and adults will include:
• Walkable robots, robot challenges, FIRST robotic teams and drawbots;
• Wind powered art and robots and giant wind machines;
• Science demonstrations, tesla coils and singing bowls;
• Prototypes of electronic systems made with Little Bits;
• Hovercraft rides;
• 3-D printers and scanners;
• Bi-copters, rockets and other flying machines;
• Felt-making and conductive thread and LED sewing for light-up clothes;
• Solar powered flashlight making;
• Interactive simulations and video games, coding classes, scratch programming, app making and hacking;
• Cardboard playgrounds and recycled art exhibits; and
• NASA’s Digital Photo Booth.
The faire also will offer food, two stages of entertainment including a series of short talks from “Inventors in Our Midst.
Sponsors include KID Museum; Montgomery County Government; Make Magazine; HESS Construction; Petrie Ross; Montgomery College; ROBLOX; HEX Bugs; the Tower Companies; Washington Gas; Engineering World Health; Tech Shop; Lerch, Early and Brewer; Wilson, Sonsini, Goodrich and Rosati; ABC7/WJLA-TV; NewsChannel 8; WTOP; Downtown Silver Spring; Activity Rocket; The Gazette; and The Washington Post.
The event is accessible from the Silver Spring Metro Station, and free parking is available in the nearby Town Center and Wayne Avenue garages.
For more information, visit www.makerfairesilverspring.com.
|Release ID: 14-316
Media Contact: Elizabeth Gallauresi 301-439-5100
Return to News Releases