Since it was launched in January 2009, the Montgomery County Department of Recreation’s Silver Sneakers exercise program has tripled attendance at recreation centers countywide. The program offers free use of exercise/weight rooms for residents age 55 and older in the department’s community recreation centers from 9 a.m. to 2 p.m., Monday through Friday.
“Staying physically active is so important as we age, and providing our senior population with one more option that enables them to exercise on a regular basis is an important part of our department’s mission,” said Recreation Director Gabriel Albornoz. “The success of the Silver Sneakers program has exceeded our expectations, and we know as more and more seniors hear about the free service we are offering, it will continue to grow.”
Rooms at the centers are equipped with a full circuit of self-administered weight and aerobic equipment that helps increase cardiovascular endurance, strength and flexibility.
Seniors interested in the Silver Sneakers program may also register for a free active adult fitness clinic that offers instruction in the basic principles of exercise and includes a demonstration of the proper use of the exercise equipment available at that center. Clinics are offered at all centers throughout the year.
Exercise and weight rooms are available at the following centers:
• Bauer Drive Community Recreation Center, 14625 Bauer Dr., Rockville;
• Clara Barton Community Center, 7425 MacArthur Blvd., Cabin John;
• Gwendolyn E. Coffield Community Recreation Center, 2450 Lyttonsville Rd., Silver Spring;
• Damascus Community Recreation Center, 25520 Oak Dr.;
• East County Community Recreation Center, 3310 Gateshead Manor Way, Silver Spring;
• Germantown Recreation Center, 18905 Kingsview Rd., Germantown;
• Jane E. Lawton Community Recreation Center, 4301 Willow La., Chevy Chase;
• Long Branch Community Recreation Center, 8700 Piney Branch Rd., Silver Spring;
• Longwood Community Recreation Center, 19300 Georgia Ave., Brookeville;
• Marilyn J. Praisner Community Recreation Center, 14906 Old Columbia Pike, Burtonsville;
• Potomac Community Recreation Center, 11315 Falls Rd.;
• Ross Boddy Community Center, 18529 Brooke Rd., Sandy Spring;
• Scotland Community Center, 7700 Scotland Dr., Potomac;
• Upper County Community Center, 8201 Emory Grove Rd., Gaithersburg;
• Wheaton Community Center, 11711 Georgia Ave., Wheaton; and
• Wisconsin Place, 5311 Friendship Blvd., Chevy Chase (scheduled to open Fall 2009)
# # #
Media Contact: Sue Tucker, 240-777-6507
# # #