Wednesday, August 07, 2013
The dog days of summer are upon us and change is in the air so I'm finding it hard to focus. Here are just a few of the things I've been thinking about this week.....
- I'm older than I thought. Last weekend, I went to a Bowie Baysox baseball game and the Naval Academy freshman class was in attendance. None of them sang along with Tom Cruise and Co. when the "You've Got That Lovin' Feeling" scene from Top Gun was shown on the centerfield scoreboard. We soon realized that these kids weren't born until 1995 -- 9 years after that movie was released. That also means no one in college these days was born pre-World Wide Web
- It's not too late to sign up for our Summer Reading Club. The deadline for sign-ups is August 11. Kids and teens welcome! So far, our summer readers have read over 45,000 books!
- Have you seen our new look? MCPL's new website has been launched! Enjoy our sleeker layout, easy-to-find answers to our most asked questions, new branch homepages, and a complete listing off all the ways you can can keep up with your favorite library system (Facebook, Twitter, Ask-a-Librarian, Apps, and more)!
- All summer long, royalty from the Montgomery County Agricultural Fair have been visiting our branches, educating us about farm animals and the various art and craft exhibits. Now it's time for the big payoff. The 65th Annual Mongomery County Agricultural Fair kicks off this wFriday and lasts until August 17. As their tagline goes, "There's plenty to see from A to Z!"
- Also next week, is the 17th Annual Comcast Outdoor Film Festival for NIH Charities. This is year, the festival is housed at the MCPS Board of Education Building on Hungerford Drive in Rockville. With the new location comes a new (or perhaps old?) way of enjoying the festival: Drive-In style!