Mandatory Water Restrictions are in Effect for WSSC Customers

For the next few days while the Washington Suburban Sanitary Commission (WSSC) repairs a major water main in Montgomery County, water supplies will be reduced by about 30 percent. There will be enough water for most indoor water uses. However, it is essential that WSSC customers conserve water whenever possible so that fire and rescue services, hospitals and other emergency services will be unaffected.

Residents who get their water from the Rockville and Poolesville municipal systems or those who have well water are not affected.

Until the mandatory restrictions are lifted, here’s what you need to know:

Outdoor Water Use is Banned

  • Lawn watering
  • Homeowner car washing
  • Filling or topping off private pools
  • Washing outdoor paved surfaces

Conserve Water Indoors

  • Use dishwashers and washing machines with full loads only.
  • Decrease shower time.
  • Turn off the water while shaving or brushing teeth.
  • Take this opportunity to check all faucets, pipes and toilets for leaks and repair them. Leaks can waste 10 percent of a household’s water use.
  • Install a low-flow shower head if you don’t already have one to save water and energy.

Here are answers to some questions you might have:

If the problem is in Potomac, why do all customers need to conserve?
The 96-inch main is a major transmission main within WSSC’s distribution system. If customers do not conserve, some users could experience a drop in water pressure.

Will the quality of my water be affected?
No. WSSC will continue to supply safe, clean drinking water while repairs are made.

Could this affect fire protection?
Yes, if people don’t conserve and water pressure drops. WSSC is in contact with local fire departments so they can take appropriate measures.

Are swimming pools affected? Yes. All pools are included in the restrictions; public, private and commercial should not be topping off and should refrain from any non-essential use of water.

How do I report a violation of the restrictions?
In Montgomery County, call 311. Your call will then be referred to the appropriate enforcement agency for follow up.

Where can I get more information?
Check the County website for updates (remember to refresh your browser) or call the WSSC Emergency Call Center at 301-206-4002; Toll free: 1-800-828-6439; TTY: 301-206-8345.

CATEGORIES: Code Enforcement
POSTED AT: Thursday, July 01, 2010 | 10:00:00 AM |
News and Information from Montgomery County Government, Public Information Office.
To subscribe email newsletter,
visit eSubscription.