Thanks to the recent launch of an innovative new program called Ride On Real Time, Ride On, passengers can now obtain real-time information on bus arrivals using the internet, texting, a smart phone or mobile applications (apps) for iPhones or Android phones. The new tools will help passengers determine when the next arriving bus will be at their stop.
Last year, Ride On added unique identification (ID) numbers to the signs at each of the County’s 4,800 bus stops. The ID numbers are used by the real time system to pinpoint a passenger’s location and give arriving bus times at that stop. The ID numbers can also be found at www.RideOnRealTime.com.
Ride On Real Time can be accessed in several ways:
- Through the internet using a computer at www.RideOnRealTime.com.
- Through the Ride On Real Time App.
- Using a web-enabled device or phone at www.RideOnRealTime.com.
- By texting the bus stop ID number to email@example.com. Passengers will quickly receive a text message indicating when their next arriving bus is coming. Riders should check with their cell phone provider to see if additional charges apply.
- A Trip Planner feature on the website helps users figure out bus routes and schedules to get them to their destinations. This feature is especially useful for new transit users or those who may be going to an unfamiliar destination. The App includes schedules and real time information for Ride On, as well as the Metro system and some regional transit systems.
Four “how-to” tutorials on using Ride On Real Time are also available on the County’s YouTube site. Follow the links listed below to see each of the tutorials:
Ride On Real Time Online Video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2ll_0e9rUw8
Ride On Real Time SmartPhone App Video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZXpr_v0Ogzc
Ride On Real Time Texting Video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zjktiABW60A
Ride On Real Time Mobile Version Video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-U8cT8O7Mg4
For more information on Ride On, visit www.RideOnBus.com or call 311.
POSTED AT: Thursday, April 26, 2012 | 6:00:00 AM