Thursday, August 26, 2010
The Montgomery County Department of Transportation’s pavement preservation program is using long-term strategies to preserve and enhance the County’s transportation infrastructure. Under this program, roadways rated as fair or worse began receiving attention in the spring once the weather became warm enough to allow for the use of hot mix asphalt.
The work consists of the following steps:
- Full depth patching removes and replaces distressed pavement areas to restore the pavement’s structural integrity and ability to support vehicle loads.
- Edge and full-width pavement milling removes the entire surface of the roadway to a depth of one to two inches.
- Utility adjustments to bring storm drain and sewer manhole covers and valves to the same grade as the renewed pavement.
- Crack sealing to repair large cracks with a flexible filler.
- Concrete curb replacement (if needed or appropriate) to remove and replace damaged and misaligned curbs.
- Paving with hot mix asphalt.
- Replacing roadway lane markings.
MCDOT began patching the following roadways in August:
- Brooke Road from Olney Sandy Spring Road to New Hampshire Avenue and Burnt Mills Hills neighborhood, Colesville area;
- Green Hills neighborhood in the Damascus area;
- Farmland Drive, Bethesda area;
- Aspen Hill Park neighborhood, Silver Spring area; and
- Potomac Falls neighborhood, Gaithersburg West area.
MCDOT will be repaving the following streets:
- Tuckerman Lane from Seven Locks Road to Old Georgetown Road and Eldwick Way, Bethesda area;
- Carroll Avenue from Piney Branch Road to University Boulevard, Silver Spring area;
- Lost Knife Road from Montgomery Village Avenue to Odendhal Avenue, Gaithersburg area;
- Longdraft Road from Quince Orchard Road to Clopper Road, Gaithersburg West area;
- Twinbrook Parkway from Viers Mill Road to the CSX Railroad Bridge, Rockville; and
- Fairland Acres neighborhood, Colesville area.
MCDOT will be resurfacing the following streets:
- Muddy Branch Road from Diamondback Drive to Darnestown Road, Gaithersburg West area;
- Tilden Lane from Old Georgetown to Old Stage Road and Tuckerman Lane from Seven Locks to Falls Road, Bethesda area; and
- Observation Drive from Germantown Road to Ridge Road, Gaithersburg East area.
In addition, concrete repairs will be made to the Connecticut Avenue Estates neighborhood in the Silver Spring area.