Thursday, September 30, 2010
The Montgomery County Department of Transportation’s (MCDOT) pavement preservation program is using long-term strategies to preserve and enhance the County’s transportation infrastructure. Under this program, roadways rated as fair or worse receive attention during the months when in the spring once the weather became warm enough to allow for the use of paving materials.
The work consists of the following steps:
- Full depth patching removes and replaces distressed pavement areas to restore the pavement’s structural integrity and ability to support vehicle loads.
- Edge and full-width pavement milling removes the entire surface of the roadway to a depth of one to two inches.
- Utility adjustments to bring storm drain and sewer manhole covers and valves to the same grade as the renewed pavement.
- Crack sealing to repair large cracks with a flexible filler.
- Concrete curb replacement (if needed or appropriate) to remove and replace damaged and misaligned curbs.
- Paving with hot mix asphalt.
- Replacing roadway lane markings.
This fall, MCDOT will continue improvements to the County’s road network. The following arterial and residential roads will be resurfaced, patched and/or repaired:
- Democracy Boulevard between Seven Locks Road and Falls Road, Bethesda area;
- Battery Lane between Old Georgetown Road and Rockville Pike, Bethesda area;
- Shakespeare Boulevard between Maryland Route 355 and Observation Drive, Germantown;
- Tenbrook Drive between Forest Glen Road and Dennis Avenue, Silver Spring area;
- Barnesville Road between Bucklodge Road and Mount Ephraim Road (this project is funded using American Recovery and Reinvestment Act funds), Barnesville;
- Avery Road, from Muncaster Mill Road to the end of County maintenance, Gaithersburg East service area;
- Observation Road from Ridge Road (Maryland Route 27) and the end of County maintenance, Gaithersburg West service area;
- Eldwick Way between Falls Road (Maryland Route 189) and Broad Green Drive, Gaithersburg West service area;
- Fields Road and Omega Drive between Key West Avenue to and Sam Eig Highway, Gaithersburg West service area;
- Fairland Acres neighborhood, Briggs Chaney area; and
- Brighton Knolls neighborhood, Colesville area.
Concrete curb and sidewalk repairs in the Kensington Heights and Oranges neighborhoods, Silver Spring area.