Tuesday, May 31, 2011
On May 26, the Montgomery County Council approved the fiscal year 2012 operating budget. Highlights of the County’s Department of Transportation approved budget include:
- The Kids Ride Free Program was restored, allowing students up to 18 years old to ride free on Ride On and Metrobus in Montgomery County weekdays between 2 and 7 p.m.
- Funding for tree maintenance will increase.
- A 10-cent an hour increase in long-term parking fees in Bethesda and Silver Spring was proposed by the County Executive in his recommended budget. The rate increase will take effect July 1 in Bethesda and January 2012 in Silver Spring.
- Monthly parking passes for Bethesda parking will rise by $20 to $140 a month and increase $18 in Silver Spring to $113 a month.
- Monthly Ride On passes will increase by $10 beginning in July.
- Current Ride On bus service was maintained.
- Funding for the Greater Shady Grove Transportation Management District.
- Creation of a new $5.9 million reserve fund for snow removal and storm cleanup.
POSTED AT: 3:00:00 PM