Thursday, June 30, 2011
Montgomery County has five EV charging stations so far, all installed by The Tower Companies at the following locations:
- The Blairs Shopping Center, Silver Spring (two EV’s);
- Blair House, Silver Spring;
- The LEED Platinum certified commercial office building at 2000 Tower Oaks Boulevard, Rockville; and
- The LEED Silver certified Tower Building, Rockville.
Under a program offered by the state of Maryland using funding from the Federal government’s stimulus program, Maryland will have 80 electric vehicle (EV) charging stations by the end of this summer.
Maryland offers two tax credits to spur broader adoption of electric vehicles and their charging systems:
- EV Tax Credit: Consumers purchasing a plug-in electric vehicle titled in Maryland through July 1, 2013, may be eligible for a $2,000 excise motor vehicle tax credit (taken at the point of sale, which can be combined with an existing $7,500 federal tax credit).
- EV Charging Station Tax Credit: Consumers may be eligible for a $400 tax credit toward installation of electric vehicle charging stations in their homes.