Tuesday, March 27, 2012
New road maintenance projects by the Division of Highway Services (DHS) are beginning or are underway:
- Windsor Knolls subdivision in Rockville began March 1.
- Waring Station Road, from Wisteria Drive to Middlebrook Road, Germantown, will begin in early April.
- Emory Lane, from Muncaster Mill Road to Georgia Avenue, Olney, began the week of March 19.
- Harmony Hall subdivision in Damascus began March 23.
Paving projects will take three to four weeks to complete. DHS will patch areas of distressed pavement; mill the roadway surface, removing one to two inches to improve drainage; make utility adjustments; seal cracks; repave the road using hot mix asphalt; and restore the lane markings.
DHS is also doing concrete curb, gutter, and sidewalk repairs. While DHS is in the neighborhood, residents can take advantage of discounts for concrete work repairs to driveway aprons (the portion of the driveway that is within the public right-of-way) and lead walks (the sidewalk from the edge of the road to a homeowner’s property line).
Projects beginning in March or April will take about eight weeks to complete:
- Greencastle Lakes community in Burtonsville
- Plyers Mill Estates community in Kensington
- Veirs Mill Village community in Silver Spring
- Decatur Avenue in Kensington
The sidewalk and curb work involves removing and replacing damaged sidewalks and ensuring that curb ramps are accessible to comply with the Americans with Disabilities Act, removal and replacement of damaged and misaligned curbs and restoration of disturbed areas with soil, grass seed and straw mulch.
POSTED AT: 2:00:00 PM