Monday, April 30, 2012
Provides Passengers with Real Time Information on Bus Arrivals
Ride On has launched a new system called Ride On Real Time that allows passengers to obtain real-time information on bus arrivals using the internet, texting, a smart phone or mobile applications (apps) for iPhones or Android phones. The new tools will help passengers determine when the next arriving bus will be at their stop.
Last year, Ride On added unique identification (ID) numbers to the signs at each of the County’s 4,800 bus stops. The ID numbers are used by the real time system to pinpoint a passenger’s location and give arriving bus times at that stop. The ID numbers can also be found at www.RideOnRealTime.com
Ride On Real Time can be accessed in several ways:
- Through the internet using a computer at www.RideOnRealTime.com.
- Through the Ride On Real Time App.
- Using a web-enabled device or phone at www.RideOnRealTime.com.
- By texting the bus stop ID number to email@example.com. Passengers will quickly receive a text message indicating when their next arriving bus is coming. Riders should check with their cell phone provider to see if additional charges apply.
Ride On has made the source information for the new system available to the public through an application programming interface that allows third parties to develop additional applications.
Features of Ride On Real Time include:
- A “Notify Me” option. After registering their email address and selecting the bus stops, routes and times of bus service they are interested in, passengers can automatically receive regular notifications of bus arrivals.
- A real time map that tracks the location of buses.
- Ride On’s bus schedules.
- A Trip Planner feature on the website helps users figure out bus routes and schedules to get them to their destinations. This feature is especially useful for new transit users or those who may be going to an unfamiliar destination. The App includes schedules and real time information for Ride On, as well as the Metro system and some regional transit systems.
In the next few months, the County will be adding equipment to the County’s newest buses so they can be tracked by the Real Time system. There are still a few bus stops that cannot be accessed by Real Time, but will be added soon. For those stops, it is suggested that riders enter the bus stop ID number for the preceding stop to estimate when their bus will arrive. Ride On encourages passengers who encounter a problem with Ride On Real Time to email staff at firstname.lastname@example.org
Four “how-to” tutorials on using Ride On Real Time are also available on the County’s You Tube site
. Go to Videos and search for the Ride On Real Time titles. Check the County’s website
for more information on Ride On or call 311.
CATEGORIES: Ride On
POSTED AT: 11:25:00 AM