Friday, March 26, 2010
Now that spring seems to really be here, we urge runners to stay safe by following these helpful tips:
- Run against traffic so you can see and react to advancing motorists.
- Don't assume a driver sees you--in fact, assume the opposite.
- At a stop sign or signal, wait for the driver to wave you through; then acknowledge with your own wave.
- Allow at least three feet between you and a passing vehicle; be prepared to jump onto the sidewalk or shoulder.
- During group runs, go single file when cars need to pass.
- Use hand signals to show which way you plan to turn.
- Respect the drivers’ right to the road; check with Police for local traffic rules.
- Run with proper ID and carry a cell phone and make sure you have an ICE (In Case of Emergency) contact listed.
(Source: Liz Robbins, "Collision Course," RunnersWorld.com, January, 2010, p. 85ff.)