Monday, June 03, 2013
Montgomery County Recreation provides a wide range of options for summer camps and programs including therapeutic recreation programming for children of all abilities. Accessible leisure, educational and personal development activities are provided through inclusion (mainstreaming) and adaptive programs. New this summer, the Therapeutic Recreation (TR) team announces Camp Bullseye, which serves middle school-age participants with learning disabilities, Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder (ADHD), Attention Deficit Disorder (ADD) and high functioning autism.
Additional therapeutic recreation camp offerings include:
• Camp Achilles – ages 13 – 21, for teens with autism. Swimming, crafts, games and trips into the community. No personal care provided.
• Camp Apollo – ages 6 – 12, for children within the autism spectrum. Community trips include swimming, nature centers and stream hikes. Arts and crafts, music and game playing increase social interactions. Campers should be able to follow two-step directions, manage their own behavior with moderate to minimal staff intervention and be able to make simple choices.
• Camp Big Pines – ages 9 – 12, for youth with learning disabilities, ADD/ADHD and/or mild behavior disabilities. Sports, outdoor games, swimming, theme weeks, board games, crafts and field trips.
• Camp Bullseye – for middle school youth with learning disabilities, ADD/ADHD, high functioning autism and/or mild behavior disabilities. A transition from Camp Big Pines to the Summer Teen Center games and team building activities are offered to enhance socialization. Also, swimming, special events and local trips. No personal care provided.
• Camp Chesapeake – ages 13 – 21, for teens with developmental disabilities. Daily travel camp that offers trips to regional parks and recreational facilities, swimming and canoeing. Trips featuring lots of walking and exercise are designed for active, independent teens.
• Camp Little Pines – ages 5 – 8, for children with learning disabilities, ADD/ADHD and/or mild behavior disabilities. Creative games, dance, swimming, theme weeks, arts and crafts, singing and field trips. Participants are placed in small groups for specific activities. No personal care provided.
• Camp Personal Pursuits – ages 13 – 21, for teens with developmental disabilities. Games, crafts, swimming, local field trips, special events and theme weeks.
• Camp Project Discovery – ages 5 – 18, for youth and teens with physical disabilities. Adapted sports, arts and crafts, games, swimming and theme week activities.
• TR Summer Teen Center – ages 13 – 21, for active, independent teens with developmental disabilities. Offers activities to enhance social skills and self-esteem and promote independence and skills for life. Games, crafts, swimming, wellness activities, local field trips and special events. No personal care provided.
POSTED AT: 8:52:00 AM