Tuesday, May 11, 2010
Kudos to County Executive Leggett for stepping up to the plate and making difficult decisions during these tough economic times. Now it's time for my oKudos to County Executive Leggett for stepping up to the platepinions:
1. Instead of suspending step increases, why not suspend shift differential pay for public safety employees?
2. High ranking police personnel should not receive any increase in pay if the rank-and-file officers do not receive a pay increase.
3. Furlough ALL police officers, deputy sheriffs and firefighter-rescuers one day during the next fiscal year, including civilian support personnel within those departments.
4. Strictly limit tuition assistance for accredited colleges, universities and other government sponsored training.
5. I used to work for the Park Police and I'm now a county police officer. I fully support the absorption of the Park Police into the county police. However, it cannot be done simply, nor all-inclusive. The county police have greater minimum hiring standards (such as college education requirements), and additional education, testing, selection and training requirements for promotions (Sergeant and above). In addition, Park Police officers are much less experienced with enforcement, investigations and emergency response to calls compared to the county police (among other things). The most efficient and effective means of absorption is to create a new Park Police Division of the Montgomery County Police, much like the existing Security and Animal Services Divisions. Keep the parks protected while cutting taxpayer costs of supporting the Maryland-National Capital Park and Planning Commission.
POSTED: 2:34:00 PM