The Department of Environmental Protection’s Division of Solid Waste Services (DSWS) recently received seven awards in two international competitions -- the Telly Awards and the Hermes Creative Awards -- for its outreach and education efforts.
Founded in 1978, the Telly Awards honor excellence in local, regional and cable TV commercials, non-broadcast videos and TV programs. The 34th Annual Telly Awards received more than 12,000 entries from all 50 states and five continents.
Hermes Creative Awards is an international competition for creative professionals involved in the concept, writing and design of traditional materials and programs and emerging technologies. The awards program is administered and judged by the Association of Marketing and Communications Professionals, an international organization with several thousand members.
“We know that the residents of Montgomery County will support recycling activities if we just give them the right information in ways that make it interesting and understandable. These recognitions by the communications industry prove that we are doing a good job at getting the word out,” said Bob Hoyt, Director of the Department of Environmental Protection, “We will continue to encourage even more recycling in an effort to achieve the goal of recycling 70% of our waste and remaining the number one recycling county in the state.”
Nominations for the DSWS campaigns were submitted by TRI (Technical Resources International) a Bethesda-based firm which provides support assistance to DSWS in its communications efforts.
The following awards were received in various categories:
• 2013 Bronze Telly Award for the “Just Mow & Go! Video” in the Online/Green/Eco-Friendly category.
• 2013 Gold Hermes Creative Award for the “Recycle More Now” jumbo postcard in the Marketing Collateral/Branding/Postcard category;
• 2013 Gold Hermes Creative Award for the “Recycle More Now” jumbo postcard in the Design/Postcard category;
• 2013 Platinum Hermes Creative Award for the “Expanded #1 PET Plastics Recycling Campaign” in the Strategic Programs category;
• 2013 Platinum Hermes Creative Award for the “Waste Reduction Is All Around Us” campaign in the Integrated Marketing Materials category.
• 2013 Hermes Creative Award Honorable Mention for the “Expanded #1 PET Plastics Recycling TV PSA” in the Video/Television PSA category, and
• 2013 Hermes Creative Award Honorable Mention for the “Just Mow & Go! Tips for Grasscycling” in the Video/Educational category.
For more information, and to access the award-winning materials, go to www.montgomerycountymd.gov/recycling.
# # #