For residents whose power was restored after their regular trash collection day, the Division of Solid Waste Services offers the following tips for disposing of spoiled food:
• Double-bag food items in heavy-duty plastic trash bags, tie tightly, and place bags into sealed trash cans with tight fitting lids outside your home;
• If you don’t have outside trash cans, consider putting the containers of spoiled food in your freezer – which now has power – and keep them in the freezer until your next trash collection day. Placing these in the freezer will slow the decomposition process, and should also neutralize any odor.
• Pour any liquids that are no longer good down the drain.
• Remember to rinse and recycle any recyclable food or beverage packaging.
• .Bring spoiled food to Transfer Station, 16101 Frederick Rd. (Rt. 355), near the intersection with Shady Grove Rd.) in trash bags and drop off for disposal at the Public Unloading Facility.
Hours of operation - Car Entrance (enter from Frederick Road)
Monday - Friday: 7:00 a.m. - 8:00 p.m.
Saturday: 7:00 am - 5:00 p.m.
Sunday: 9:00 am - 5:00 p.m.
For updates to this information: visit http://www.montgomerycountymd.gov/solidwaste
# # #