For Immediate Release: 6/30/2012
Summer Storm Update From Montgomery County, June 30, 11 a.m.
* Montgomery County will open three “cooling shelters” at 12 noon today at Richard Montgomery High School (250 Richard Montgomery Drive in Rockville), Clarksburg High School (22500 Wims Road in Clarksburg), and White Oak Recreation Center, (1700 April Lane in White Oak.) Bring prescription medicines, critical phone numbers, and any comfort items such as personal pillows.
· 210,000 Pepco customers remain without power out of 305,000 in
· Water conservation is critical. Both the
* The AT& T National Golf Tournament at Congressional Country Club is closed to the public. The Ride On Number 35 bus, serving that area, is not in service.
· 500 out of 800 traffic signals are without power across the County. Treat all “dark” intersections as four-way stops. Stop – then proceed cautiously. This is critically important to ensuring vehicular and pedestrian safety.
· To report power outages, call Pepco at 877-737-2662, Potomac Edison at 888-544-4877, or Baltimore Gas & Electric at 877-778-2222.
· To report “hot” or sparkling wires, especially those across roadways, call 911.
· Water tankers are being added to fire stations to help with fire fighting capabilities.
* Residents with generators should ensure that generators remain in well-ventilated, outside spaces to avoid carbon monoxide poisoning. Residents using chainsaws should exercise maximum caution to avoid downed wires.
* The County's MC311 Call Center has not yet opened due to power and telephone outages but residents can report downed trees and other non-emergency issues by using the web portal at www.mc311.com
· Ride On buses are operating, but there may be delays due to detours as the result of downed trees and wires.
· Residents are reminded to check on their neighbors, especially seniors.
· Another round of storms is expected in the area later today between 4 and
* The following pools are closed: Kennedy-Shriver; Martin Luther King both indoor and outdoor; Glenmont;
· Sign up for Alert Montgomery to receive emergency information directly. https://alert.montgomerycountymd.gov/index.php?CCheck=1
|Release ID: 12-178
Media Contact: Patrick Lacefield 240-777-6504
Return to News Releases