Beginning this spring, 292 parking meters will be installed on three streets around Shady Grove Adventist Hospital and other nearby medical and professional facilities. The Montgomery County Council approved parking charges in the Shady Grove Life Sciences Center area to help control traffic congestion and encourage more on-street parking turnover, which increases the availability of parking spaces. The Montgomery County Department of Transportation has notified all businesses located in the area by mail of the impending meter installation.
The meters will be installed on both sides of:
• Medical Center Drive between Great Seneca Highway and Key West Avenue;
• Broschart Road between Key West Avenue and Medical Center Drive; and
• Blackwell Road between Broschart Road and Great Seneca Highway.
A map of the locations is available on the County’s website.
The parking rates will be 65-cents an hour, Monday through Friday from 7 a.m. to 7 p.m. No payment will be required on weekends or holidays.
Payment options for the meters include:
• Cash Key, which has money pre-loaded onto the key; and
• Parking Convenience Sticker (PCS), which will cost $123 a month for unlimited parking. PCS stickers can be purchased online, by mail or in person at two County locations:
o The Silver Spring Parking Sales Store (within County Parking Garage #61), 809 Ellsworth Avenue, Silver Spring, 7:30 a.m. to 4 p.m., Monday through Friday.
o Bethesda Parking Sales Store (within County Parking Garage #42), 4720 Cheltenham Drive, Bethesda, 7:30 a.m. to 4 p.m., Monday through Friday.
A few weeks following installation of the meters, the Pay by Cell Phone payment option will be added.
Net revenues after expenses for equipment, operations and enforcement will be used to support the Greater Shady Grove Transportation Management District (TMD). The TMD works with businesses, employees and residents to reduce traffic congestion, improve air quality and support a sustainable community.
For more information, contact 311 online or call 311 (from outside of the County, 240-777-0311) or TTY 301-251-4850, Monday through Friday from 7 a.m. to 7 p.m.
# # #