Board of Appeals
Board of Investment Trustees
Community Engagement Cluster
Community Use of Public Facilities
Correction & Rehabilitation
County Attorney's Office
County Executive's Office
Emergency Mgmt & Homeland Security
Fire and Rescue Service
Health & Human Services
Housing and Community Affairs
Legislative Oversight Office
Management and Budget Office
Merit System Protection Board
Public Information Office
State's Attorney's Office
Zoning & Administrative Hearings
For Immediate Release: 6/24/2013
|New Youth Cruiser SmarTrip® Card Now Available for Ride On Customers; Unlimited Bus Rides Only $18 during Summer for those 18 and Under|
Montgomery County’s Ride On bus system is now offering a new Youth Cruiser SmarTrip® card for customers 18 years of age and under. Stored value can be added to the card for use on Metrorail, Metrobus and other transit agencies that accept SmarTrip® cards.
Ride On youth passengers can add their monthly Youth pass or the special Youth summer pass to the new Youth Cruiser SmarTrip® card. The Youth summer pass provides unlimited rides from June 1 through August 31 for $18 and can be purchased until July 31.The Youth Monthly pass provides kids unlimited rides for only $11 a calendar month on Ride On. Both passes provide a significant savings over regular fares.
Proof of age and County residence is required to obtain a Youth Cruiser SmarTrip® card. Riders must obtain the card in person and will be required to register it. The Youth Cruiser SmarTrip® Card can only be obtained at:
• TRiPS Commuter Store: 8413 Ramsey Avenue, Silver Spring (Monday through Friday, 7 a.m. to 5 p.m., 240-773-8747)
• TRiPS Commuter Store: 17 Wisconsin Circle, Friendship Heights (Monday through Friday, 10 a.m. to 6 p.m., 240-773-8747)
• Montgomery County Division of Treasury: 255 Rockville Pike, L-15, Rockville, (Monday through Friday, 8 a.m. to 4 p.m., 240-777-8930)
Passes and stored value can be loaded onto Youth Cruiser SmarTrip® cards either in person or online. Through an online account, customers have the option of automatically purchasing Youth monthly passes for their Youth Cruiser SmarTrip® Card, which is then added to a purchaser’s card seven days before the end of every month.
Riders can purchase the Youth Monthly passes or add value to the Youth Cruiser SmarTrip® card in person at the following locations:
• TRiPS Commuter Store: 8413 Ramsey Avenue, Silver Spring (Monday through Friday, 7 a.m. to 5 p.m. 240-773-8747)
• TRiPS Commuter Store: 17 Wisconsin Circle, Friendship Heights (Monday through Friday, 10 a.m. to 6 p.m. 240-773-8747)
• Montgomery County Division of Treasury: 255 Rockville Pike, L-15, Rockville, (Monday through Friday, 8 a.m. to 4 p.m. – 240-777-8930)
• Certain Giant Food stores in Montgomery County
• Certain CVS Pharmacy stores in Montgomery County
• Zodiac Stores in Gaithersburg and Wheaton
• Check Cash Depot and Money Express in Gaithersburg
A full list of participating retail outlets is available online.
Youth monthly passes for two consecutive months may be loaded onto a Youth Cruiser SmarTrip® card at one time. Customers should be aware that, once purchased, the two-month period for which the pass is active cannot be changed.
Ride On passengers with Youth monthly passes who use the express Route 70 bus will be charged an additional $2.05 for each trip. The extra charge is automatically deducted from the stored valued loaded on the Youth Cruiser SmarTrip® card.
A Youth monthly pass purchased the first through the 15th of any month is active for the month in which it was purchased. If the Youth Monthly pass is purchased the 16th through the end of the month, the pass will be valid beginning the first day of the following month.
Riders aged 18 and under can also continue to take advantage of Ride On’s Kids Ride Free program on weekdays from 2 to 7 p.m.
Information about the Youth Cruiser SmarTrip® card and passes is available online. Ride On information is available on the County’s website or by calling 311, Monday through Friday from 7 a.m. to 7 p.m., 301-251-4850 TTY, or 240-777-0311 (from outside Montgomery County).
|Release ID: 13-193
Media Contact: Esther Bowring 240-777-6507
Return to News Releases