Shady Grove Processing Facility & Transfer Station
16101 Frederick Road
Derwood MD 20855
Residential trash loads must be under 500 pounds.
All Shady Grove Processing Facility and Transfer Station users must separate recyclables and trash, and deliver them to the appropriate sections of the facility. We cannot accept recyclables and trash mixed together.
Details: Executive Regulation 18-04
Hours of operation - Car Entrance (Frederick Road)
Monday - Friday: 7:00 am - 8:00 pm
Saturday: 7:00 am - 5:00 pm
Sunday: 9:00 am - 5:00 pm
- Enter from Route 355.
- Be prepared to provide proof of Montgomery County residency. This is required, and we may ask for at any time.
- Use this entrance only for small vehicles with loads less than 500 pounds.
- If your vehicle's load appears to be over 500 pounds:
- You may be asked to weigh the load at the scales during normal scale house operations (Monday - Saturday, 7:00 am to 5:00 pm) at the discretion of the County's representative.
- If you are at the Shady Grove Processing Facility and Transfer Station on a Sunday when the scales are closed, you will be asked to return on Monday.
- All loads are subject to inspection
Hours of operation - Truck Entrance (Shady Grove Road)
Monday - Saturday: 7:00 am - 5:00 pm
Closed on Sundays.
- Use this entrance with all commercial, rental, or landscapers' vehicles; pickup trucks; or any vehicle with loads of 500 pounds or more.
- Be prepared to provide proof of Montgomery County residency or evidence that waste was generated in Montgomery County. This is required, and we may ask for it at any time.
Tip: Avoid our peak hours
To reduce your waiting time at the our facility, we recommend avoiding days after holidays and the middle of the day. Our slower periods tend to be 8 to 10 a.m. and 3 to 5 p.m., plus evenings for the resident drop-off area.
May I take materials from the Shady Grove Processing Facility and Transfer Station?
Sorry, under the Code of Maryland Regulations 26.04.07.03(7), you may not scavenge or salvage items from the Shady Grove Processing Facility and Transfer Station.
This facility accepts these materials:
aluminum foil products
appliances - refrigerators, washing machines, etc.
asbestos - siding, shingles, tiles
batteries - household, rechargeable
batteries - vehicle
brush / branches / storm debris
cans [aluminum, bi-metal (steel/tin)]
car seats / child safety seats
clothing and textiles
computers and related electronics
dirt, soil, rocks
films (x-rays) and photos
foam packaging (Styrofoam®)
glass bottles and jars
juice boxes / juice and milk cartons
lawn mowers / riding mowers
light bulbs and tubes, fluorescent (CFL)
light bulbs, incandescent and non-mercury
lumber / wood / demolition debris
oil, cooking / vegetable
oil, motor and other
paint - oil-based
paper / mixed paper
plastic bottles, containers, tubs and lids
propane / helium / other tanks
smoke alarms / carbon monoxide alarms
yard trim (leaves, grass, brush)
This information last updated 10/15/2013