How to recycle/dispose of
We've revised our how-to information!
Try out our new version, and tell us what you think about it.
County facilities accepting mercury (Hg):
Household Hazardous Waste drop-off events
Shady Grove Processing Facility & Transfer Station
Household Appliance Mercury Switch Removal Manual:
This manual, from the Mercury Education and Reduction Campaign, Vermont Agency of Natural Resources, addresses the removal of mercury switches and thermocouples prior to appliances being processed for their scrap metal. Educating individuals on how to identify and remove the mercury from the appliances prior to metal reclamation, helps ensure that mercury wastes are managed properly and kept out of the environment.
If you do have mercury (Hg) spill in your HOME:
- Never use an ordinary household or shop vacuum cleaner to pick up loose mercury -- this will increase vapors
- Never use a broom or brush to clean up mercury - mercury will break up into smaller beads and be spread around
- Never allow mercury to go down the drain
- Never use household cleaners particularly those with chlorine and
ammonia -- they react with mercury
- Open your windows
- Turn off heating
- Work from the outside of the mercury spill to the inside
- Use stiff paper, index cards, or squeegee to pick up large beads of mercury
- Use eye-dropper and tape to pick up smaller beads
- Use a flashlight to find other beads (the light will shine off the beads and make them easier to find)
- Sprinkle zinc and copper flakes, available at hardware stores, to clump together small amounts of mercury
- Place recovered beads into a container with a tight lid
- Collect all materials that have come in contact with the mercury and place in zip-lock bag
- Wash all body areas that have come in contact with mercury.
- Call 911 or the non-emergency numbers for Fire and Rescue (240-683-6510) or Montgomery County Police (301-279-8000) for further advice.
- Bring your recovered mercury and materials to a Household Hazardous Waste Collection. Call Montgomery County's Customer Service Center at 311 (out-of-County: 240-777-0311, TTY: 240-773-3556) for the next collection date, or check
our online collection schedule.
"How to recycle/dispose of..." Index
This information last updated 4/10/2013.