How to recycle/dispose of
We've revised our how-to information!
Try out our new version, and tell us what you think about it.
County facilities accepting fire extinguishers:
Household Hazardous Waste drop-off events
Shady Grove Processing Facility & Transfer Station
Dispose of aerosol-type fire extinguishers in your normal household trash.
If you are a resident: You may bring fire extinguishers to the Shady Grove Processing Facility and Transfer Station during normal operating hours. Sorry, we cannot accept fire extinguishers from businesses.If you have a household “B-C” type fire extinguisher no greater than 18 inches long, and cannot come to the Transfer Station:
- Place the extinguisher into two heavy duty plastic trash bags.
- Outdoors, lay the bag with the extinguisher flat on level ground.
- Fold the tops of the bags closed and with one foot, step on the fold.
- With a free hand, find the extinguisher's release lever from outside the bags. Gently squeeze and slowly release its contents.
- Knot or tie the bags closed and place them into your regular household trash.
Fire extinguishers are also accepted at Household Hazardous Waste collection sites.
"How to recycle/dispose of..." Index
This information last updated 4/10/2013.