How to recycle/dispose of
Weekly - trash
County facilities accepting trash cans:
Shady Grove Processing Facility & Transfer Station
Hauling crews are understandably reluctant to take a trash can along with the other items they collect. If you have a can which you need to toss out, please help your crew as follows:
- Please request a bulk trash pickup for plastic trash cans or scrap metal collection for metal trash cans. [Sorry, we cannot recycle plastic trash cans.]
- To make your request, call Montgomery County's Customer Service Center at 3‑1‑1 (out-of-County: 240‑777‑0311, TTY: 301-251-4850).
- Turn your can upside down when setting it at the curb for collection
- Place a large note on the can, identifying it as "Trash." If the can is metal, and you have scheduled a scrap metal collection for it, please label it as "Scrap Metal." Make sure that these notes are visible from the street.
Shady Grove Processing Facility and Transfer Station
You may take trash cans directly to the Shady Grove Processing Facility and Transfer Station for disposal:
- Plastic trash cans:
- Dispose of as trash in the Public Unloading Area.
- Metal trash cans:
- Add these to the Scrap Metal area in the Recycling section of the Public Unloading Area.
"How to recycle/dispose of..." Index
This information last updated 10/4/2012.