Tuesday, March 27, 2012
On March 15, County Executive Isiah Leggett announced his recommended $4.56 billion operating budget for fiscal year (FY) 2013 that begins July 1. Leggett’s budget strategically restores some of the most critical and important services that were cut back dramatically over the past five years as the County faced unprecedented budget challenges. Leggett’s approach to the FY13 budget attempts to balance the backlog of resident needs with the County’s new economic reality.
Below are the transportation priorities in the proposed budget:
- A 10.4 percent increase for the Department of Transportation;
- Hire more Ride On bus drivers;
- Inaugurate three new RideOn routes:
- South Germantown, connecting Richter Farm, Dawson Farm and the Soccerplex to the Germantown Transit Center;
- Potomac and PARC Potomac; and
- Gaithersburg, Watkins Mill extended.
- Match Bikesharing grants;
- Enhance residential road resurfacing programs;
- Reduce the price for the second Call ‘N Ride coupon book by about five dollars; and
- Enhance pedestrian safety programs, including additional contractor support for crosswalk markings and signs and marking materials.
POSTED AT: 3:00:00 PM