MCFRS News Release

Man Pulled from Burning Car

Passerby’s Rescue Man from Burning Car in Boyd’s, Maryland

Shortly after noon on Sunday, August 6, 2006 a serious single car crash occurred near the intersection of White Ground Road and Hoyles Mill Road, in Boyds. A car with three occupants, including two adults and a teenager were traveling along White Ground Road apparently at a high speed, and for whatever reason, left the roadway and struck a tree. It is believed that the impact of the crash caused the car to catch on fire and burst into flame. All three occupants were seriously injured.

A short time later, around 12:20 p.m., several persons leaving a family church service nearby happened to come across the wreck. At the same time, several bicyclists also arrived on the scene. Their collective actions would be life saving.

As Mr. Bart Servaes, of Bethesda called 911 to report the crash and fire from his cellphone, cousins - Richard Talley, of Germantown; Nanette Hunter, of Columbia and Roland Talley, Jr., of Gaithersburg having just left a nearby church service stopped to assist. Together, along with several others, they worked to free the dazed and trapped driver of the car and a teenage female passenger. The driver, an adult male was pinned in the vehicles by his legs. One other adult male occupant of the burning car apparently was able to free himself.

The bystanders pulled and disentangled the trapped victims from the burning car with their bare hands. In fact, once they freed the pinned driver, several were able to put out a clothing fire with their bare hands and a limited supply of water. At least one rescuer received minor burns to his hands while attempting to extinguish the flames on the trapped victim. Most then stayed with the three injured persons until fire and rescue crews arrived on the scene.

First arriving firefighters and emergency medical personnel encountered three seriously injured persons, all of whom had been freed from the mangled burning car, a car fully engulfed in flames and brush and trees on fire that was spreading quickly. In addition, two Maryland State Police medevac helicopters were called to the scene. Within thirty minutes the fires were extinguished, all victims were treated on the scene, prepped for transport and taken to area trauma centers. The collective actions of these citizens are being credited for saving the life of those persons involved in the wreck.