Snow Skiing and Snowboarding
In 2001, more than 17,500 children ages 5 to 14 were treated in hospital emergency rooms for snow skiing-related injuries, and nearly 22,600 were treated for snowboarding-related injuries.
With a few safety precautions, skiing and snowboarding are sports that even young children can enjoy. Parents should make sure children follow these suggested precautions:
- Enroll in at least one skiing or snowboarding lesson to start off on the right track.
- Use caution when entering and exiting the ski lift.
- Do not ski out of control or go too fast.
- Be aware of other people on the slope.
- Wear a ski helmet and eye protection.
- Wear sun protection, even on cloudy days.
- Never ski alone. Young children should always be supervised by an adult.