File of Life Program
Imagine that you are injured or suffer from a medical condition that temporarily renders you unconscious or unable to communicate effectively with paramedics. Without important information about your medical history, how will medics be able to quickly diagnose your condition and provide emergency care?
The Montgomery County Fire and Rescue Service cares and is pleased to introduce a community initiative entitled the "File of Life" program. The File of Life packet enables Montgomery County Fire and Rescue personnel to obtain a quick and accurate medical history when a patient or family member is unable to offer one. The File of Life is a red, magnetic packet that contains vitally important medical information about you. The File of Life also provides an area to list contact information for your doctor, family members, insurance information and any other special circumstances that rescue personnel should know in caring for you. FREE File of Life packets are available upon request to all residents of Montgomery County, Maryland. Call 240-777-2463 for information or to have one mailed to you.
- Download the File of Life Information Sheet (PDF, 129 Kb)
- Who should fill one out?
- Senior adults. However, the File of Life is applicable for people of all ages, especially individuals with chronic or severe medical conditions and/or developmental disabilities.
- Where should I put it once I fill it out?
- The red, magnetic packet(s) should be hung on the outside, front of the refrigerator.
- A few things to remember when using the "File of Life":
- Record the information in pencil. Updates and revisions can be made as necessary.
- The information is only useful if it is updated frequently. Participants are urged to maintain current information regarding medication and dosages.
- The File of Life has a spot for noting if the individual has a DNR (Do Not Resuscitate) order. The "File of Life" is not a valid DNR. Participants are advised to record the location of the original DNR order. EMS protocols apply unless a copy or original of the DNR is supplied.