The Charter provides that the Council shall elect a president to preside over meetings. The Council elects a president and a vice-president each December for a one-year term.
The Council President is responsible for setting the Council's agenda and work schedule, reviews and signs all official documents of the Council, responds to the major portion of the correspondence addressed to the Council, and acts as spokesperson. In recognition of these additional responsibilities, the Council President receives a salary 10 percent greater than the salary of the other Councilmembers.
There are currently six Council standing committees which are described below. Each Committee has budget review and program oversight responsibilities. Some cross-cutting issues may be reviewed by two committees meeting jointly.
In some of the committees, an individual other than the Chair has been designated as the Lead Councilmember for an issue or group of issues. Lead Councilmembers take the initiative in developing agenda items in their areas of responsibility and act as chair of the committee when their items are being discussed.
Council committees customarily meet on Mondays and Thursdays. During the Council budget seasons (January through June), committee sessions are held more frequently.
- Jurisdiction: Issues relating to Montgomery County Public Schools and Montgomery College.
- Members: Valerie Ervin, Chair; Phil Andrews; Craig Rice
Government Operations and Fiscal Policy (GOFP)
- Jurisdiction: Economic and fiscal policy; spending affordability; County Government administrative departments; cable and telecommunications issues; technology issues; personnel and compensation issues; procurement policy; oversight of interagency teams on training, public information, procurement, and PEG (public, education, and government) cable television channels.
- Members: Nancy Navarro, Chair; Valerie Ervin; Hans Riemer
Health and Human Services (HHS)
- Jurisdiction: The health and human services agencies; libraries; the arts; culture, and the humanities.
- Members: George Leventhal, Chair; Nancy Navarro; Craig Rice
Planning, Housing, and Economic Development (PHED)
- Jurisdiction: Master Plans and amendments to the zoning laws; issues related to parks and recreation, the Maryland-National Capital Park and Planning Commission, and the Montgomery County Planning Board; historic preservation; economic development; housing, and agricultural preservation.
- Members: Nancy Floreen, Chair; Marc Elrich; George Leventhal
Public Safety (PS)
- Jurisdiction: The criminal justice system, including the Police Department, State's Attorney, Sheriff, the Courts, the Detention Center, and the Criminal Justice Coordinating Commission; Fire/Rescue and Animal Control.
- Members: Phil Andrews, Chair; Roger Berliner, Marc Elrich, Lead for Youth Programs
Transportation, Infrastructure, Energy and Environment (T&E)
- Jurisdiction: Water and sewer issues and the Washington Suburban Sanitary Commission; issues relating to environmental protection and conservation, including forest conservation; solid waste issues, including the incinerator and landfills; issues relating to State and County roads and streets, including snow removal and street lighting.
- Members: Roger Berliner, Chair; Nancy Floreen; Hans Riemer