Signs of a Healthy Relationship
- Is sensitive to my feelings.
- Respects my opinions and values.
- Trusts me.
- Is not overly possessive or jealous.
- Accepts me for who I am and doesn't try to change me.
- Treats me as an equal.
- Is willing to discuss our problems and disagreements.
- Doesn't try to control my life.
- Does not embarrass me or put me down in front of others.
- Thinks it's a good idea for us to spend time apart with other friends.
- Gives me no reason to fear his/her temper.
- Is never physically rough or aggressive with me.
- Does not criticize how I look or dress.
- Never talks about me behind my back.
- Listens to me and tries to understand my point of view.
Warning Signs of an Abusive Relationship
Does your partner……
- Criticize and degrade you?
- Make you feel afraid to disagree?
- Act very jealous and possessive?
- Accuse you of being unfaithful?
- Try to control every aspect of your life?
- Make you account for every minute?
- Try to isolate from family and friends?
- Discourage you from work and schooling?
- Humiliate you in front of others?
- Tell you you're worthless or crazy?
- Destroy your property or sentimental items?
- Pick fights with you?
- Try to control all your finances?
- Force you to have sex against your will?
- Threaten to hurt or kill you or your children?
- Threaten to commit suicide if you leave?
- Hits, punch, slap, kick, push or threaten you?
- Become violent, then say it's your fault?
- Blame alcohol or drug use for violent episodes?
- Regret hitting you and promise it won't happen again?