Application for a Marriage License
Obtaining a marriage license is a fairly straightforward process requiring about 15 minutes to complete. Below are certain rules that you may want to keep in mind when applying for a marriage license in Montgomery County, Maryland:
- The fee for a marriage license is $55.00 dollars. Payment by cash or check is preferred; checks are made payable to the "Clerk of the Circuit Court". Credit cards are accepted with the exception of American Express.
- Maryland requires that a marriage license be obtained from the Circuit Court in the county where the marriage is to take place regardless of the residency of the couple to be married. If you are planning to be married in Montgomery County, Maryland, you must obtain a marriage license from the Clerk of Montgomery County Circuit Court.
- The marriage license must be purchased at least 48 hours before the marriage ceremony. Couples can obtain a waiver if a judge approves it. Normally, military service or a family illness can be the grounds (reasons) for a waiver. Contact the License Department for additional information.
- A divorced person must provide a copy of the divorce decree that indicates where and when the divorce took place. This information is required in order to have the legal marriage ceremony performed. Without this information, the license cannot be processed. Keep in mind that each applicant must take an oath that all the information provided is true under the penalty of perjury.
- If you have more than one last name, you should use your complete name on the license.
- Please review your application carefully. Any necessary corrections should be made before the license is issued.
- At the time of application, please provide I.D. for both parties, such as a driver's license, birth certificate, passport, military I.D. or alien registration card, and Social Security Number.
For Residents of Montgomery County, Maryland
If the marrying parties are both residents of Montgomery County, one of the parties to be married appears before the Clerk and gives, under oath, the following information for both parties:
- Full names
- Place of residence
- State or county of birth
- If either party was married previously and separation occurred as a result of the spouse’s death or divorce, the date and place of each is required.
- Social Security Number of each party who has one
For Non-residents of Montgomery County, Maryland
If the parties to be married do not live in Montgomery County and are unable to appear in person to apply, they may apply for a marriage license using a Non-Resident Marriage Application. Contact the License Department for additional information (Phone: 240-777-9460).
Go to Top
In 2006, over 5,800 marriage ceremonies were held in the Courthouse. Marriage ceremonies are performed by appointment only. If you wish to hold your ceremony at the Courthouse, please contact the License Department. You must obtain your marriage license before you may schedule a ceremony. The fee for the ceremony is $25.00 (cash only).
To schedule an appointment for a marriage ceremony, please contact the License Department (240-777-9460).
Go to Top
Certified Copies of Marriage Licenses
You will need certified copies of your marriage license to use them as legal proof of your marriage. Certified copies of a marriage license may be obtained from the License Department.
If you are getting married at the Courthouse, you can purchase it when you pay for your ceremony. If you are getting married elsewhere in Montgomery County, you can purchase the certified copy of your marriage license about a week after your celebrant returns your marriage information to the License Department. You may request the certified copy in person during office hours or send a request by mail. When you request in writing, please include in your request:
Names of the parties
Marriage license number
Date of the marriage
Self-addressed stamped envelope
Check or Money Order payable to the Clerk of the Court
The fee for each certified copy of a marriage license is $5.50.
Go to Top
Foreign License Recordation
If a couple has been married in another state or country and one of the parties is a citizen of Maryland, the couple may record the marriage ("foreign marriage") at the License Department. The parties must provide a certificate of marriage signed by the individual who performed the marriage or an official certified copy of the marriage record. There is no fee to record a foreign marriage.
Go to Top
Expired Marriage License
In Montgomery County a marriage license must be used within six months or it will expire.
If you marry outside the court, the celebrant needs to fill out and return the Minister’s Return Form. This information is needed to complete the record.
Go to Top