Expand Transit — back
- Increase bus service to accommodate 195,000 new passengers next year.
- Expand the Call ‘N Ride program for low-income elderly and
disabled residents to accommodate an estimated nine percent growth
- Purchase 15 more compressed natural gas (CNG), five hybrid-
electric buses, and 12 smaller buses for neighborhood routes.
a new fast-fill CNG fueling station for the growing fleet of CNG buses.
a new Ride On bus route between Germantown and Shady Grove.
Improve Traffic Flow and Transportation Infrastructure — back
- Institute an Incident Management Team to patrol during rush hours
and provide rapid assistance to re-open travel lanes blocked by disabled
vehicles or minor accidents.
- Increase major asphalt repair on arterial
- Increase funding for bridge renovations.
- Enhance the County’s
traffic signal system.
- Improve the intersection on Mid-County Highway
at Shady Grove Middle School.
- Ease parking in Downtown Silver Spring
with two new garages — Silver Circle (at Wayne and Georgia Avenues)
and Town Square Garage
Drive by City Place.
- Resurface more residential roads and improve
- Replace curbs and repair road shoulders.
- Retrofit traffic signals
with LED lights to conserve energy.
- Increase maintenance for traffic
signal and control devices.
- Enhance pedestrian safety by continuing outreach and education,
including translated materials and the safe schools program; conducting
community activities and materials that promote a consistent safety
message; and improving engineering, including restriped crosswalks
and pavement markings, and new signs and raised pavement markers.
funding for employer outreach and continue the Fare Share/Super Fare
Share transit subsidy partnerships to reduce the number of cars
on the road during rush hours.
- Maintain the Kids Ride Free program
on Ride On and Metrobus from 2 to 7 p.m.
- Continue tree pruning to
maintain healthy trees and provide adequate road clearance, as well
as improve the visibility of signs, signals
Over the next two months, the County
Council will hold public hearings
and work sessions on the budget. The final budget must be approved by
here to go to the unsubscribe page.