Choosing a Travel Agency
We live in a world in which travel has become both increasingly important and complex in its variety of modes and choices. Travelers are faced with a myriad of alternatives as to transportation, accommodations and other travel services. Some travelers choose to use a travel agency to help them navigate the choices.
While most travel agencies are reputable and guide consumers honestly and competently, our office has received complaints from consumers involving agencies where the consumer paid for tickets which were never received.
OCP advises consumers to carefully research any travel agency or merchant before paying for services. Before selecting a travel agency consumers should take the following precautions:
- Find out how long the agency or tour operator has been in business.
- Check to see if there are any complaints or legal actions against the merchant.
- Check to see if the travel agency is a member of one of these trade associations:
- When paying for travel, pay with a credit card rather than by check or cash. Certain “chargeback” protections apply to credit card purchases.
- Don't forget to get the refund policy in writing.