GENERAL INFORMATION ABOUT THE REC ASSIST FINANCIAL ASSISTANCE PROGRAM
What is the RecAssist Fund?
The RecAssist Fund is provided by Montgomery County Recreation to make financial assistance available to County residents who receive public assistance. The RecAssist Fund subsidizes Recreation program fees so that eligible residents can pay reduced fees for Recreation programs.
How is RecAssist different from the old Financial Assistance Subsidy Program?
There are several important new changes with the RecAssist Fund:
- The current RecAssist Fund is available for 6 months – July 1, 2013 through December 31, 2013.
- A 15% co-payment per class or program, per participant, is required at the time of registration.
- Use of the RecAssist Fund is available on a “first come, first served” based. You may use the amount on your account only until the RecAssist Fund is used up.
Once the RecAssist Fund is used up, you must pay full price for all registrations, even if you have not used the entire RecAssist amount on your account.
What can I use RecAssist for?
The RecAssist Fund may only be used for Montgomery County Recreation classes and programs like yoga, summer camps, swim lesson, sports, art, dance and many, many more.
However, you cannot use RecAssist to pay for:
- Sports team leagues fees
- Facility rentals
- Recreation Gift Cards
- Daily pool admissions
- Supplemental fees including, security deposits, withdrawal fees, materials fees, late pick-up fees or to purchase aquatic merchandise.
- A previous balance on your account
- As an adjustment of previous registrations
RecAssist amounts not used will be removed from your account on December 31, 2013 or when the RecAssist Fund is depleted.
All requests for withdrawal from a class or program must be submitted in writing.
How do I know if I’m eligible for RecAssist?
You are eligible to receive RecAssist when you show proof that you are currently receiving one of the following:
- Temporary Cash Assistance
- Food Stamps
- Medical Assistance
- Care for Kids
- Supplemental Security Income.
No other documentation will be accepted. The amount of RecAssist placed on your Recreation account is based on the number of family members your documentation shows who are currently receiving assistance.
When Can I Apply for RecAssist?
RecAssist financial assistance applications will be available online and at Recreation's Administration Office beginning June 3, 2013. Applications will be processed and the amount of the RecAssist Fund for which you are eligible will be placed on your Recreation account within 10 days of the day we receive your application. You may begin using RecAssist on July 1, 2013.
How do I apply for RecAssist?
- Gather your documentation showing you are currently receiving at least one of the public assistance listed above.
- Fill out the RecAssist application.
- Submit your complete application and copies of your documentation to Recreation.
Your completed application and documentation may be submitted by fax, by mail or walked-in to our Administration Office.
- To send by fax – the number is 240-777-6888.
If you prefer to mail or walk-in your application and documentation.
Our Recreation Administration Office is located at 4010 Randolph Road, Silver Spring, 20902. Walk in applications will be accepted between 8:30am and 4:30pm Monday-Friday, except on county holidays.
Please be sure you only submit copies of your documentation because we will not return any document. Qualifying applicants will receive a receipt in the mail in about ten days. If you supply an email address on your application, Recreation can email your receipt for faster service.