Find this page fast with our shortcut: www.montgomerycountymd.gov/bulktrash
What is Bulk Trash?
Bulk trash is large non-metal items like furniture, carpet, and mattresses.
A rule-of-thumb is that an item is considered bulk trash if it doesn’t fit in a trash can or trash bag.
Unusually large quantities of cans or bags of trash such as from "Spring cleaning" are also considered bulk trash.
Bulk trash collections must be scheduled in advance of your collection day for County-provided trash service.
How do I dispose of bulk trash?
How do I request Bulk Trash pickup?
- Make an itemized list of the non-metal items you want us to pick up.
- Request your bulk trash collection
|Request your collection this way
||by this deadline for pickup on your next trash collection day
|fill out our online form
||11:59 p.m. on the day before your collection day
|call 311 (out-of-County: 240‑777‑0311, TTY: 240‑773‑3556).
||7:00 p.m. on the business day before your collection day
If you request your pick up after the deadline, we'll collect your bulk items the following week on your trash collection day.
- Disassemble extremely large bulk items like pianos.
On your collection day, separate your bulk trash items from any regular household trash, recyclables, yard trim and scrap metal you set out for pickup.
- At least one side of the item must be less than 4 feet wide. Items with all sides larger than 4 feet will not fit in our collection truck, so we will not collect them.
Set all of your bulk trash items, regular household trash, recycling, yard trim, and scrap metal the curb by 7 a.m. on your collection day.
How do I cancel a scheduled bulk trash collection?
Call 311 (out-of-County: 240‑777‑0311, TTY: 240‑773‑3556) by 7:00 p.m. on the business day before your collection day. Thank you for the courtesy call!
What items are accepted as Bulk Trash?
Large items that are 51% or more metal are not collected as bulk trash. Request a scrap metal recycling collection for these metal items.
We accept these general item types. If you have an item to be collected that is not on this list, please call 311 (out-of-County: 240‑777‑0311, TTY: 240‑773‑3556).
- Non-metal furniture (sofas, bookcases, etc.)
- Rugs and carpet (please roll and tie)
- Mattresses and box springs
- Large non-metal toys
- Mirrors or glass table tops that have been covered with newspaper and taped to prevent breakage
- Bathroom fixtures (non-metal tubs, sinks, toilets)
- Single items from minor home repair (wood door, bathroom vanity)
- We do not collect items generated from major home remodeling, demolition or construction.
- Plastic trash cans
What items are not accepted as bulk trash?
- Large items that are 51% or more metal. Request a scrap metal recycling collection for these metal items.
- Propane tanks
- Uncovered glass mirrors/table tops
- Hazardous materials. Take these to our Household Hazardous Waste drop-off.
- Debris generated from major construction, remodeling, demolition or repair work like bricks, concrete, lumber, non-metal fencing, shingles, drywall, paint, rock, sod, auto parts, non-metal kitchen cabinets, sheds and large dog houses, etc.
- Large items that will not fit in our truck, or pose a safety hazard to our collectors
- Human or animal fecal or uriniferous matter; infectious waste; dead animals
What do I do with unacceptable bulk trash items?
County residents with proper ID may bring items not accepted for bulk trash collection to our Solid Waste Processing Facility and Transfer Station (16101 Frederick Rd, Derwood, MD).
- There is no disposal charge for each load of trash and/or bulk trash weighing less than 500 pounds, and delivered in privately-owned and operated vehicles, vans, and trailers.
- Tree stumps more than three feet in diameter, and large auto parts cannot be disposed of at the Transfer Station.
Have more questions about collection and disposal of bulk trash?
Call 311 (out-of-County: 240‑777‑0311, TTY: 240‑773‑3556).