About County-provided Trash Service
Acceptable household trash accumulated daily by each household will be
collected once a week from the curb.
Adjustments to the collection schedule are made for seven holidays
each year. The schedule is adjusted only if the actual (not the observed) holiday falls on a collection day.
What to set out and when
- All trash must be placed at the curb in proper
containers by 7:00 a.m. on your collection day.
- If your trash is loose in the container, the container must weigh 45 pounds or less.
- If your trash is in bags, each bag must weigh 45 pounds or less. You may put multiple bags into 1 container.
- All items for collection must be placed directly at the curb, or unobstructed on your property, within 10 feet of the curb.
- Don't place containers at the curb more than 1 day before your collection day; remove them within 24 hours after collection.
- Don't block traffic, sidewalks, or mailboxes with containers.
- Don't keep containers on the County right-of-way between collections.
- Don't use restraints on containers or lids which interfere with or hinder removal of trash from containers.
Your set-out items must consist only of accumulated materials from
normal housekeeping activities.
- If you have more than 5 bags of trash for 1 collection day, and/or you have large, bulky items to dispose, schedule a bulk
Broken glass must be wrapped in paper to prevent
injury to collectors.
Home Repair Debris:
You may set out up to two trash cans of home repair debris with your
normal household trash.
You must place your home repair debris into cans for collection. (Nails and sharp edges cut through plastic bags, creating hazards for collection crews). Each can must weigh
45 pounds or less. You do not need to place a bulk trash collection request for these two
You may set out up to two trash cans or bags of rubber mulch with your
normal household trash. Each can or bag must weigh 45 pounds or less.
You do not need to place a bulk trash collection request for these two
cans or bags.
Occupants must confine any and all animals that may interfere with
No containers, bundles, or materials may be placed in a hazardous
location for collection.
Appliances are picked up on your collection day through the County's
scrap metal recycling program. There is no fee for this service. Scrap metal pickups must be scheduled in advance of your collection day.
If collection is suspended due to snow or severe weather, your trash
will be picked up the next day or as soon as possible. Please leave
your cans at the curb until collection occurs.
For collection status updates:
- Check the Division of Solid Waste Services website. We post schedule change announcements in the the header of every page on our site.
- Subscribe to our notifications. Select email delivery, text messages, or both.
Montgomery County's Customer Service Center at 3-1-1 (out-of-County: 240-777-0311, TTY: 301-251-4850).
Have questions about County-provided trash service?