Reduction Tips for the Holidays
The best way to reduce waste is not to create it in the
first place. If waste is prevented, there is no need or cost for the collection,
processing and disposal.
- When shopping, use your own shopping bags such as re-usable cloth
bags. Also, put multiple purchases in the same bag instead of each item
in a separate bag.
- Use a real camera instead of disposable cameras.
- When buying film, buy in multiple packages, instead of single rolls.
- Buy rechargeable batteries.
- Buy durable and reusable products. Try to stay away from disposable
- Buy food and other items with as little as packaging as possible.
- Use dishware, glassware and cloth napkins instead of disposable dishes,
cups and paper napkins.
- Package leftover food and send it with guests instead of throwing
- Choose products that are packaged in materials that can be recycled
in Montgomery County
Great Gift Ideas that Create Less Waste:
- Gift certificates
- Concert or sporting event tickets
- Reuse cardboard boxes to mail gifts to distant friends and family.
- Reuse packaging materials, such as peanuts, bubble wrap and shredded
newspaper. Try donating extra peanuts to local mailing centers.
- Get a tree that can be planted or mulched afterwards, or use an artificial
tree that can be used over and over each year.
For more information:
TRRAC Multi-Family Recycling Program: 240-777-6446
Write to TRRAC