Blue Wheeled Carts
for Paper Recycling
Distribution of 120,000 carts to detached, single-family homes began November
15, 2004. We know residents are eager to receive their carts. Still, even
at the anticipated delivery rate of 1,000 carts per day, we expect this
process will to continue to Summer 2005. Thank you for your patience.
Montgomery County residents wanted recycling containers with wheels,
handles and lids.
You told us mixed paper recycling was difficult because it required bagging,
tying, flattening and cutting.
The wheeled carts address all of those concerns, and are over 60 gallons
in capacity! They make mixed paper recycling easier than ever. Just toss
all of your mixed paper items into the cart, and roll it to the curb on
your recycling day.
What to recycle in your blue cart
Wheel your cart out to the curb by 7:00 a.m. on your
recycling day. Large pieces of cardboard too big to fit into the cart
may be set out on the ground next to it.
The orientation of the cart does not matter. You may set your cart at
the curb with the handle facing the street, your house, or sideways.
The following items are accepted in Montgomery County’s paper recycling
program; put these in your blue cart:
- Newspapers and inserts
- Corrugated cardboard
- Cereal and other boxes
- Telephone books
- Computer and office paper
- Paperback and hardcover books
- Unwanted mail
- Shredded paper
- Envelopes and boxes with plastic "windows"
- All other clean and dry paper
Sorry, we cannot accept:
- Packing material such as styrofoam or plastic
- Waxed or plastic-coated paper, carbon paper, beverage
containers such as milk or juice cartons
- Paper or cardboard contaminated with paint, chemicals, food, or kitty
- Foil gift wrap, paper towels, napkins, or tissues