2012 Walk & Ride Challenge
The Walk & Ride Challenge is coming to Friendship Heights, Silver Spring and Greater Shady Grove Transportation Management Districts. The 3-week challenge period runs from September 10-28, 2012. Anyone working within the Friendship Heights, Silver Spring or Greater Shady Grove Transportation Management Districts is eligible to participate. Whether you drive to work, use transit, bike, or carpool, everyone is encouraged to participate.
Each team member will receive a pedometer, a T-shirt, and other goodies the week before the Challenge begins. In order to receive materials before the start of the Challenge, all teams must register online by August 24th. (Early Bird registration ends July 31st!)
Participating is Easy!
1. Team-up within your company: Form a 3 to 5 member Walk & Ride Challenge team at your workplace. (Worksites can have multiple teams of 3 to 5 members per team.)
2. Register your company’s team(s): Sign-up online by August 24, 2012 (Early Bird registration ends July 31st!)
3. Track your steps: You'll each use the pedometer to track the number of steps you take each day. Enter that number into the online Walk & Ride Challenge log.
4. Please note: The Challenge tracks ONLY walking. (Sorry, no steps allowed for biking, rollerblading, jogging, deep-water running, kick boxing, kung fu, skydiving, aerobic knitting, or other forms of recreation and exercise.)
Add steps to your daily routine — and turn those steps into weekly prizes through the 2012 Walk & Ride Challenge.
Enhanced fitness is the most important pay-off. But you also get chances to win:
Each week during the Challenge, participants walking more than 50,000 steps will be entered into a drawing to win great prizes, including a new Kindle. Those walking 25,000-49,999 steps will also be entered into a drawing for other great prizes.
First place team members will each receive a $125 Gift Card!
Second place team members will each receive a $75 Gift Card!
Third place team members will each receive a $50 Gift Card!
Where Can You Walk?
Friendship Heights, Silver Spring and Greater Shady Grove offer so much that is walking-accessible. Your work day provides an opportunity to transform the daily commute into a calorie-burning, prize-winning team sport for three weeks. (Check with your doctor if you have health questions, of course.) Try walking:
- To and from a Metro station, bus stop, or park-and-ride lot
- Between work and home, if you live nearby
- Out and about during lunch or breaks
Employers, You Can Help!
Worksites can have multiple teams of 3 to 5 members per team. So, please encourage all employees to participate.Integrate the Walk & Ride Challenge into your corporate wellness program.
Walk & Ride Registration links, click on the Walk & Ride logo:
Greater Shady Grove
Return to Commuter Services homepage
Friendship Heights Walk & Ride flyer (PDF)
Silver Spring Walk & Ride flyer (PDF)
Greater Shady Grove Walk & Ride flyer (PDF)